The purpose of this is to guide an applicant through the new business process and ensure that the owner ("Applicant") applying for new water service(s) has a clear understanding of Truckee Meadows Water Authority's New Business Process.
The New Business Process:
- New Business Application
- Engineering and Resource Review
- Pre-Construction Meeting
- Construction and Inspection
- Initiating Service
Applicant submits the New Business Application to a Project Coordinator (PC). Appointments are encouraged since PC's may have other appointments or field work. Walk-in appointments may be required to wait until a PC is available. The PC assigned to an Applicant's project will be Applicant's point of contact and is responsible for facilitating the Applicant's application. Submittal requirements for each type of service installation are listed on page 3 of the application, together with the initial engineering submittal review fees.
Water Utility designs (W-1's) on TMWA Drawing templates are required as part of the submittal package. Once all the necessary items are submitted; water rights, engineering and right-of-way begin the review process simultaneously on the Applicant's project. Partial submittals will be returned. Other helpful external links that may assist an Applicant in obtaining additional permits:
The Business Services Fees (BSF) outlines submittal costs and fees related to new water service (s). [Does not include water rights and Water System Facility Fees (WSF)]. The following activities will occur during the Engineering and Water Resource Reviews:
- Water rights may need to be dedicated. Fees may include: purchase of water rights, water meter retrofit contribution fund and Will-Serve documentation preparation fees.
- Will-Serve letter issued upon dedication and payment of all applicable water rights fees.
- The initial water utility design is reviewed, and red-lines are returned to Applicant's engineer for revision.
- After the revisions are completed and subsequently re-reviewed, the project's approved water utility design drawings are:
1. Approved by TMWA Engineering, and the Water Service Agreement (WSA) is issued to the Applicant, or
2. Nevada Administrative Code (NAC) Compliance-submitted to the health authority for review and approval; subsequently approved by TMWA engineering and a WSA is issued.
- Once the WSA is executed, addresses provided, fees paid, and water rights and right-of-way satisfied, a pre-construction meeting may be scheduled.
Pre-Construction meetings are required for all projects; TMWA's PC's will schedule, facilitate and conduct the pre-construction meeting. Attendees include Applicant, Applicant's engineer, Nevada state licensed contractor (General A or A-19) Nevada State Contractors Board, TMWA's: PC, Inspector, Engineer, and Backflow Administrator.
Applicant must contact TMWA's PC 48 hours prior to commencement of the water facility construction and provide the Work Order number (WO #) in order to schedule a TMWA Inspector during the on-site construction of the water facilities. Should inspection take place during a time other than normal business hours, additional fees will be required.
A TMWA Inspector provides and produces the following:
- Initial inspection
- Punch list of incomplete items or actions required
- Final inspection to ensure completion of punch list items
- Locks out water meter setters
- Accepts facilities
- Upon completion of project, TMWA Inspector returns as-builts to the PC
- Conduct new facility quality control with TMWA Operations Department
The Applicant is the end-use customer until another customer applies for service turn-on with TMWA. To get a meter set, please call 834-8080, or when backflow is required call 834-8288. If you have deferred your BSF as part of a subdivision, contact your Project Coordinator to initiate meter sets.