Public Records Requests
Truckee Meadows Water Authority (TMWA) is committed to providing access to public records in accordance with Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 239. All public records, that are not otherwise declared by law to be confidential, will be available for inspection or copies will be provided.
All requests to inspect and/or obtain copies of public records must be made through the TMWA Records Program.
Guidelines for Submitting a Public Records Request
These guidelines, procedures, and request form are only applicable to TMWA and the information for which we have legal custody and control.
- For your convenience, a Public Records Request Form is provided in the link here: Public Records Request Form.
- Be specific in your request, such as including relevant dates. Try to define the content of the records you are looking for.
- Include your contact information, preferably with e-mail, physical mailing addresses and daytime phone.
- Once your request has been submitted, you should receive an automatic response indicating your request has been received.
- If necessary, we may contact you for clarification to expedite the search for records.
- Pursuant to NRS 239.0107, within five (5) business days of receiving a request for a public record, TMWA will:
- Allow the requester to inspect or copy the record, or
- Notify the requester that the office does not possess the information and, if possible, provide the name and address of the entity that does, or
- Notify the requester that the information cannot be available within five (5) business days and provide a date and time when the records will be available, or
- Notify the requester that the information is legally protected and cannot be provided.
In accordance with NRS 239.052, there may be a fee to receive a copy of a public record, which must be paid in full before receiving the copy. The fee must not exceed the actual cost to TMWA to provide a copy of the public record unless a specific statute or regulation sets a fee that the government may charge for the copy. If the fees exceed $25, a written cost estimate will be provided, and a deposit may be required. There is no fee for electronic copies of public records sent via email.
- Small format copies B/W (8-1/2×11”, 8-1/2 x 14”, 11 x 17”) – $.05/page for paper copies
- CD or DVD – $1 per disc
- Flash drive – $5.54/USB flash drive
- Postage – Actual cost of US Mail, express delivery, etc.
- Due to the volume of requests, records accessibility, staff availability, and legal constraints, we may need a few days or weeks to locate and produce some records because records are not always readily accessible. Electronic and hard copy records are maintained in multiple locations.